Northern Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Lawyers

Getting injured on the job in Minnesota can be overwhelming and complicated. It’s important that if you’ve been injured at work, you get the care and treatment you need. At LaCourse, Poole & Envall, P.A., our experienced worker’s compensation lawyers located in Duluth have over 60 years of combined experience in helping injured workers in all of Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin, to include Duluth, Virginia, Hibbing, Cloquet, Grand Rapids, Two Harbors, and Grand Marais. Workers’ Compensation laws in Minnesota are complicated and it’s important to know your rights. Our attorneys will help you navigate the system and help you fight for a fair award. Our success is no accident.

Our Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Lawyers can help you:

  • Get wage loss benefits paid
  • Get wage loss benefits paid
  • Get medical bills paid
  • Get recommended treatment approved
  • Get you necessary retraining
  • Communicate with the Insurer on your behalf
  • File claims on your behalf if the Insurer denies your claim
  • Make sure the Insurer does not stop wage loss benefits prematurely
  • Choose your own QRC (Qualified Rehabilitation Consultant)
  • Represent you in all court proceedings
  • Explore settlement
  • Obtain mileage and co-pay reimbursements

Please take a look below at some of our frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1-800-535-1665 or (218) 727-5384; or fill out our contact form.


Frequently Asked Questions

If I’m hurt on the job, what is the correct procedure to file a Workers’ Compensation claim?

If you are hurt on the job, report your injury to your supervisor/employer either verbally or in writing immediately. If you do not report your injury you may not be able to claim benefits later. Seek medical treatment right away as it is important to document all of your injuries and how they happened. Make sure your doctor knows that you were hurt at work and explain all possible injuries so your doctor can properly assess them. Make sure your employer knows if the doctor recommends restrictions on your work activities. The employer must honor these restrictions. Finally, contact an attorney to make sure your rights are protected from the beginning of your claim.

What benefits are available to me under the Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Act?

  • Wage loss benefits, including temporary total disability benefits, temporary partial disability benefits, or permanent total disability benefits
  • Permanent partial disability benefits if you have a permanent injury
  • Reasonable and necessary medical treatment and expenses by a doctor of your choosing
  • Vocational rehabilitation, retraining, and/or the assistance of a Qualified Rehabilitation
  • Consultant of your choosing

What types of injuries are covered by Workers’ Compensation?

Workers’ Compensation covers all injuries, conditions or illnesses that occur on the job or as a result of your work activities:

  • New injuries or a re-injury of a pre-existing condition
  • Injuries that develop due to repetitive activities that occur over time
  • Injuries that develop over time such as lower back injuries
  • Illness due to exposure to chemicals or toxins

Do I still receive benefits if my doctor released me for light or modified duty?

If you cannot return to your pre-injury job due to your restrictions, you may be entitled to total or partial wage loss benefits. You will still be entitled to medical care and treatment.

My employer says because they are based in Wisconsin that I can’t file a Minnesota Workers’ Compensation claim. Is that true?

Not necessarily. For instance, if you are injured in Minnesota, do most of your work in Minnesota, or live in Minnesota, you may be entitled to file a claim for benefits in Minnesota even though your employer is from Wisconsin. Minnesota is liberal in allowing jurisdiction for work injuries with a Minnesota connection. This is important because Minnesota Workers’ Compensation laws are more favorable to employees than those for surrounding states like Wisconsin and North Dakota.

What is a Qualified Rehabilitation Consultant (QRC)?

If you need help returning to work due to your injuries, a QRC can help you with rehabilitation services. Although insurance companies prefer to appoint a preferred QRC, you have the right to choose your own. However, you have a very limited time to choose your own QRC. This choice may be more important than you realize if there are problems with your return to work or if retraining is needed.

Do I still need to contact an attorney if the insurance company is paying all of my benefits?

Minnesota’s Workers’ Compensation rules and laws are very complicated and are continually changing. It is important to have an attorney who has extensive experience with Minnesota Workers’ Compensation claims so that you know your rights and obligations under these laws. We can help you avoid making decisions that could jeopardize the benefits you may be receiving now.