Involved in a MN Crash over the Holidays? Get Compensation

In Minnesota, car accidents are unfortunately one of the most common types of personal injury claims. So, if you were involved in a car accident over the holidays, rest assured you’re not alone.

In fact, there have been many accidents in the news lately with unfortunate endings. A six-vehicle crash on Highway 52 took one woman’s life and injured four others in December. Two other men were seriously injured in a crash on I-94 in Minnesota recently as well.

Some crash stories have tragic endings, but they all have something in common: there are actions that can be taken to get compensation if you or someone you love is involved. Here is what you need to know about the laws surrounding car accidents in Minnesota.

Car Accident Laws in Minnesota

Minnesota is a “no-fault” state when it comes to car insurance rules. What does that mean? Every driver in the state has to have insurance in order to drive legally.

This no-fault car insurance works to cover the driver even if they’re not at fault for the accident. If you’re injured, then you first file a claim with your own insurance to cover the costs of your injuries, as well as time off work and other expenses related to the injury from the accident.

However, there are some expenses that are not covered by no-fault insurance that individuals typically carry. For example, any personal property is not covered, like your vehicle.

On top of that, there is often a limit as to how much insurance will pay for injuries related to an accident. So, if your expenses exceed what your insurance will pay, or you want compensation for your vehicle, then you have to file a lawsuit against the driver at fault.

When Can You File a Lawsuit?

If you were hospitalized or seriously injured as a result of the accident, then you probably have reached the claim threshold of $4,000 or more that is generally covered by no-fault insurance in the state. You may want to consider filing a lawsuit to recover damages.

An experienced attorney can help you with your case. You may need their help demonstrate in the lawsuit that you had losses as the result of the accident, as well as ongoing needs or other expenses for which you want reimbursement.

Is There a Statute of Limitations?

It’s important to be aware that Minnesota does have a statute of limitations in regards to filing a lawsuit for losses or damages related to a car accident. You have two years from the date of the accident to file the suit. It can only request compensation for property damage or injures that are directly related to the car accident. No matter how significant your injuries or losses, you only have two years to file – and the courts will stick firmly to that.

Is There a Statute of Limitations?

If you’re involved in an accident, make sure that you report it, especially if there was an injury or death related to it. Call the police of the local municipality, the county sheriff, or the State Police to take a report. You can use this down the line if you need to file a lawsuit.

Car accidents are scary, but there is hope if you are injured. You don’t have to bear the brunt of the fallout from your injuries or property losses alone. There is a legal remedy to help you get the compensation you deserve.


About the Author:

A lifelong Minnesotan, founding partner Ronald R. Envall has spent his entire legal career fighting for the little guy, focusing on workers’ compensation, Social Security, and personal injury cases. He has been recognized by SuperLawyers as a Top Rated attorney in Duluth, placing him in the top 5 percent of all workers comp lawyers across the state. In his free time, Mr. Envall serves on the boards of several area government and nonprofit organizations and is a member of the Minnesota Association for Justice, which supports consumer rights.